Barbacoa De Res (Shredded Beef)
Serve this wrapped in a flour tortilla with toppings!
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) beef chuck shoulder pot roast
- 12 (6-inch) tortillas for accompaniment
- Chopped onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Marinade: Combine ingredients in large bowl.
- Roast: Add beef pot roast; turn to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours
or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
- Remove pot roast from marinade; reserve marinade.
- Place pot roast in stockpot.
- Pour marinade over pot roast; cover tightly.
- Braise in 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) oven 4 to 1/2 to 5 hour or until pot
roast is fork to tender.
- Remove pot roast; keep warm. Strain cooking liquid into medium saucepan; skim
fat from cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 3 cups.
- Shred pot roast with 2 forks; add to saucepan. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with Toppings, as desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 186; Total
Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Fiber: 1g; Protein:
24g; Sodium: 391mg
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
The Beef Checkoff