This was a forerunner of the tamale.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup milk or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic
- 8 pieces boiled beef, finger size
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 8 clean
- Mix all ingredients except meat and corn husks.
- Spread thick dough on corn husks.
- Add cooked meat.
- Wrap and steam for 30 minutes.
It can also be baked at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Other Southwestern beef and pork recipes you may like...
Slow Cooker Brisket Sofrito
Punkin Center Green Chile Chuck
Mexican Pot Roast Filling