Coffee Roast Beef
This method of preparing a beef roast was often used by cowboys and ranch hands
while out on the range.
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) boneless rump roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 4 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups medium strength black coffee
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife, make very small cuts in the roast and insert the garlic
- Heat the oil in a heavy roasting pan or Dutch oven (cast iron works best) and
sear the roast on all sides.
- Add the onion quarters, tomato paste, coffee and water to the pan and bake for
- Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake for 1 1/2 hours more or until the roast
is done to taste.
- Remove the roast to a warm platter, let cool slightly and then slice.
- Stir the butter and wine into the pan juices and serve with the sliced roast.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings