Dairy Farmers Tamale Pie
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Mix milk and cornmeal in a large bowl and set aside.
- Brown ground beef with the onion, bell pepper and minced garlic. Drain the meat and set aside.
- In the bowl containing the milk and cornmeal, add the corn, black beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir in the ground beef mixture and pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until set and edges are well browned.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese. Return to the oven for about 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted thoroughly.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.