Hot Tamale Pie
This pie is a layered version of the popular Mexican tamales. Easy to put together
for a weekday meal. Complete the meal with a tossed green salad.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheddar
or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- In a bowl combine the cornmeal, 1/2 cup cold water, salt, cumin and red pepper.
- In medium saucepan bring the 1 1/3 cups water to a boil. Slowly add cornmeal
mixture; stirring constantly to make sure it does not lump. Return to a boil, stirring
constantly. Lower heat and cook for 10 minutes or until very thick, stirring occasionally.
- Spread the hot cornmeal mixture into a greased 7 x 12-inch casserole.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet cook the pork, onion and sweet pepper
until pork is browned and vegetables tender.
- Stir in beans, enchilada sauce and olives. Bring to a boil.
- Spoon the pork mixture over the cornmeal layer in the casserole, cover and bake
in a 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese; bake uncovered for 3 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
prep time 20 minutes
cook time 30 minutes
Nutritional Information: Calories: 321 calories Protein: 26 grams Fat: 11
grams Sodium: 721 milligrams Cholesterol: 58 milligrams Saturated Fat: 5 grams Carbohydrates:
29 grams Fiber: 6 grams
Reprinted with permission from
the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.