Mexican Pot Roast
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 3 pounds beef round steak
- 4 garlic buds, mashed
ripe tomatoes, unpeeled and chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots,
cut into chunks
- 2 onions, sliced thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat lard in a cast iron Dutch oven.
- Cut through the fatty round on the steak and brown it on both sides.
- Add remaining ingredients and water. Cover the Dutch oven and bake for about
1 1/2 hours.
- To garnish, cut fresh jalapenos in half, scoop out the seeds, rinse and pat dry,
then fill with cream cheese sprinkled with paprika or chile powder.