(Chilaquiles de Puerco)
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, preferably day-old
- 1 (2 pound) boneless pork shoulder,
cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium white onions, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Lard or vegetable oil
- 2 fresh poblano chiles, roasted,
peeled, seeded, de-veined and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatillos, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup whipping
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Chihuahua or
Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 5 or 6 tomato slices,
cut into halves
- 1/2 cup crema or sour cream
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Stack tortillas; cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch wide strips. Spread
loosely on wire rack; let stand for 1 to 2 hours to dry slightly.
- Combine pork, 1 onion and salt in large saucepan; add water to cover pork. Heat
over high heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until pork is tender,
1 1/2 hours.
- Melt enough lard in deep, heavy, large skillet to 1/2-inch depth. Heat to 375
degrees F; adjust heat to maintain temperature.
- Fry tortilla strips in lard, about a at a time, stirring and turning occasionally,
until crisp, about 1 minute.
- Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper toweling.
- Heat 2 tablespoons lard in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Add remaining
onion. Sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add chiles, garlic and cumin; sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in undrained tomatillos. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered,
- Add whipping cream to skillet; cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat, stirring
frequently, until mixture is reduced to 2 2/3 cups, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix cheeses in small bowl.
- Drain pork; using 2 forks, pull into coarse shreds.
- Spread 1/2 of tortilla strips in greased, shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole.
- Add layers of 1/2 each pork, cream mixture and cheeses in that order.
- Repeat all layers.
- Bake until hot throughout and golden on top, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Garnish with tomato slices, crema or sour cream and cilantro sprigs.