(Albondigas en Salsa de Chipotle)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 pounds
lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 9 (3/4-inch) cubes queso fresco
- 9 whole pimento-stuffed green olives
- 2 tablespoons
lard or vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1 pound) can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup beef
stock or broth
- 2 to 4 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
Sliced pimento-stuffed olives
- Beat eggs with salt in large bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add beef, pork and cilantro; mix lightly but thoroughly. Divide meat mixture
into 18 even portions. Shape 1 portion into flat patty; top with 1 cheese cube.
Press meat firmly around cheese to enclose completely and form ball.
- Repeat procedure, stuffing 1/2 of meat portions with cheese and 1/2 with whole
- Heat lard or oil in deep 10-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Fry 1/2
of meatballs at a time, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 5
minutes; remove to plate.
- Remove and discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Add onion and
garlic; sauté over medium heat until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, stock and chiles; heat to boiling.
- Return meatballs to skillet; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until meatballs
are cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Remove meatballs to serving dish with slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Transfer tomato mixture to blender container; process until smooth.
- Return mixture to skillet; heat over high heat to boiling.
- Pour sauce over and around meatballs.
- Serve with sliced olives.