South of the Border Coffee
This should be made with the cone-shaped raw sugar called piloncillo, but you
may substitute dark brown sugar.
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup or 3 small cones piloncillo (panocha)
- 1/2 ounce baking
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 (2-inch piece stick cinnamon
- 1/4 to
1/2 cup regular grind coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat water. Add piloncillo, chocolate, cloves and cinnamon stick. Bring to a
full boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in coffee or add coffee in a bouquet garni bag for easy removal.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Strain through a double thickness of cheesecloth or, better yet, use a bouquet
garni bag for the coffee, then just remove the bag of grounds.
- Serve immediately.
Other Southwestern beverage recipes you may like...
Patron Silver Margaritas
Traditional Latin Horchata