Traditional Latin Horchata
The creamy touch of the evaporated milk, together with the combination of rice
and cinnamon, give this Horchata, a traditional Latin beverage, a unique flavor
and texture. It makes a refreshing and nutritious snack for you and your kids.
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed, drained
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- Ice cubes
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Lime rind strips (optional)
- Combine rice, cinnamon stick and water in large bowl; cool.
- Cover; refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Spoon rice into blender container (reserve soaking water).
Cover; blend on High for 3 to 4 minutes until mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Add the reserved soaking water and sugar; blend for an additional 2 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a cheesecloth or fine sieve into a pitcher, pressing the
rice solids until only a dry paste remains; discard paste.
- Stir evaporated milk into the mixture.
- To serve: Pour into tall glasses with ice cubes; sweeten with additional sugar,
if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Garnish with lime rind.
15 min. prep
135 min. total
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1/6 of Recipe Servings Per Recipe: 6 - Amount
Per Serving Calories: 210 Calories from Fat: 35 Total Fat: 4g (6% of DV) Saturated
Fat: 3g (14% of DV) Cholesterol: 20mg (6% of DV) Sodium: 60mg (3% of DV) Carbohydrates:
40g (13% of DV) Dietary Fiber: 0g (0% of DV) Sugars: 31g Protein: 5g Vitamin A:
0% of DV Vitamin C: 0% of DV Calcium: 15% of DV Iron: 2% of DV
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
provided used with permission from
Nestle and meals.com.