Baking Powder Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Cut in butter with a knife
until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add eggs and milk, stirring
with a fork and blending until the dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Either drop tablespoonsful of batter onto a well-greased cookie
sheet or place the entire mixture into a well-greased 8- or 9-inch
square cake pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes,
or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with butter, hot from the oven.
Add 1/2 cup raisins or currants to batter.
Add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
with the liquid ingredients.
Add 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
Other Southwestern bread recipes you may like...
Casa Vieja Roman Bread
Sweet Potato or Pumpkin Fry Bread
Pan Dulce Conchas