Blue Corn Tortillas
- 1 cup Masa Harina
- 1 cup harina de maiz azul (blue cornmeal)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons warm water
- Mix all ingredients with a wooden spoon in a bowl until dough is
formed, about 2 minutes.
- Let stand, covered tightly with plastic wrap, for 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 parts. Roll each part into a ball, keeping
the balls you are not using in a plastic bag so that they don't
dry out. (If the dough does get too dry, add a little extra water.)
Place a ball on a sheet of plastic wrap and cover it with another
sheet. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand, then finish
rolling with a rolling pin, working quickly and lightly. Flip the
package over and repeat until an approximately 6-inch circle is
formed. Peel away the top layer of plastic wrap, flip the package
over gently, and peel away the other piece of plastic wrap.
- Cut out a perfectly round tortilla with a sharp knife and carefully
transfer it to a flat, hot griddle. Bake on the first side for about
30 seconds. Flip over and bake on the second side for about 30 seconds.
Flip once again. Press down on the tortilla firmly with a folded
dish towel and quickly lift it away again. This will cause the tortilla