- 6 to 8 dried cornhusks
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Place cornhusks into a large bowl with boiling water to cover; let soak about
- Drain, then pat dry and tear lengthwise into 1 1/2- to 2-inch wide strips.
- In each of 11 greased 2 1/2-inch muffin cups, place 2 or 3 cornhusk strips, crossing
centers of strips at bottom of each cup so ends fan out around sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and cumin seeds.
- Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk to flour mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each lined muffin cup.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes, until tops of muffins are golden.
- Serve hot or warm; remove and discard cornhusks before eating muffins.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.