Large, ripe papayas are plentiful in the Southwest.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground
- Cream together sugar and butter until light.
- Add eggs and beat until fluffy.
- Add papaya, nuts and raisins and mix.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and
ginger. Add to butter mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased wax paper-lined 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 65 minutes. Or fill greased muffin pans three-quarters
full and bake for 25 minutes.
Other Southwestern bread recipes you may like...
Casa Vieja Roman Bread
Sweet Potato or Pumpkin Fry Bread
Pan Dulce Conchas