Potato Pan Dulce Braid
- 1/4 ounce packet rapid rise yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
at 110 degrees F
- 1 cup warm milk at 110 degrees F
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup mashed potatoes, cold
1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- Candy sprinkles in various bright colors
sprinkles in various pastel colors
- Pour yeast, warm water, and warm milk into a mixing bowl. Let mixture stand for
10 minutes without interruption.
- Mix on lowest setting until combined.
- Add sugar, eggs, butter, and mashed potatoes. Mix to combine.
- Switch mixing attachment to a bread hook.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, and mix on low speed. The mixture will be slightly
sticky. Add additional flour until you can manage the dough with minimum stickiness.
- In a well-greased bowl add dough and allow to rise in a place with low ventilation.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the oven overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 3 sections and roll each section into a long, thick rope. On
a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, braid the three sections of dough.
- Tuck the ends under braid to seal.
- Brush dough with melted butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle one strand with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Decorate the next strand with different sprinkles, and so forth.
- Bake bread for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes, slice and serve.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Source: Nicole Presley, Food Blogger, Presley's Pantry
Recipe and photo credit:
the Idaho Potato Commission.
Other Southwestern bread recipes you may like...
Casa Vieja Roman Bread
Sweet Potato or Pumpkin Fry Bread
Pan Dulce Conchas