- 1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Beat egg with milk and butter.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir lightly, just until mixed.
- Pour into a well-buttered 9-inch square pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Tamale Cornbread: Add 2 teaspoons chili powder to the dry ingredients and 1/2
cup finely-chopped ripe olives to the batter before baking.
Other Southwestern bread recipes you may like...
Casa Vieja Roman Bread
Sweet Potato or Pumpkin Fry Bread
Pan Dulce Conchas