Pork Burritos (Burritos de Carnitas)
- 2 cups refried beans
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) boneless fresh pork butt roast
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried epazote
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- Fresh tomato salsa
- 12 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 medium firm, ripe avocados, pared, pitted and diced
- Place pork, onion, sliced carrot, garlic, salt, epazote, cumin and coriander
seeds in large Dutch oven. Add just enough water to cover pork. Heat over high heat
to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until pork is tender, 2 to 2 1/2
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove pork from cooking liquid; strain and reserve 2 cup of the liquid.
- Place pork on rack in roasting pan. Roast, turning once, until well-browned,
40 to 45 minutes.
- Trim and discard outer fat from pork. Using 2 forks, pull pork into coarse shreds.
- Combine pork and reserved cooking liquid in medium skillet. Cook and stir over
medium heat until pork is evenly moistened and hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
- If not freshly made, soften and warm tortillas.
- Reheat beans, if necessary.
- For each burrito, place 1/12 of the beans crosswise in a row on lower half of
1 tortilla; spread out slightly. Top with 1/12 each pork, tomato salsa, avocado
and cheese, in that order.
- Fold right edge of tortilla over filling; fold bottom edge over filling and loosely
roll up, leaving left end of burrito open.
- Place 2 burritos on each serving plate.
- Garnish with carrot sticks and scallions; serve immediately.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.