Chuck Wagon Coffee Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
cup butter or lard
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour milk *
- 2 eggs, well
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and butter in a bowl to make fine crumbs. Remove 1/2 cup
of the crumbs for the cake topping.
- To the remaining mixture, add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add beaten eggs to the sour milk.
- Add to dry mixture and beat until very smooth.
- Pour into a well-greased 8 x 12 x 2-inch biscuit pan, then sprinkle the crumbs
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot from the pan.
Nuts may be added to the topping, if desired.
* Make sour milk by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 cup of milk.