- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Orange segments (optional)
- Mint sprigs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons light or dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare Rum Syrup; set aside.
- Cake: Beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored.
- Add flour, baking powder, orange peel and butter. Beat until well blended.
- Spread batter in a greased, floured 9-inch cake pan with a removable rim.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until cake just begins to pull away from sides of pan and
center springs back when lightly pressed (about 20 minutes).
- Set warm cake in pan on a rack; set rack over a plate to catch any drips.
- Pierce cake all over with a fork.
- Slowly pour Rum Syrup over cake; let cool.
- Just before serving, remove pan rim; garnish cake with orange segments, if desired,
and mint sprigs.
- Rum Syrup: In a small pan, mix sugar, orange peel, orange juice, lemon peel,
lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring,
just until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool, then stir in rum and vanilla extract.
Yield: 8 servings