Mexican Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 4 tablespoons
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cake: Sift together the sugar, flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, place water, margarine, oil and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil
and pour over dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Combine buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add to the chocolate batter. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Start frosting 5 minutes before cake is done.
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting: Place butter, cocoa powder and milk in a saucepan and
bring to a boil. Be careful not to burn.
- Add confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and pecans. Mix well.
- Poke holes in hot cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Spread frosting on hot cake and serve from pan.
The frosting recipe can be made into delicious fudge by reducing milk to 4 tablespoons.