Mexican Chocolate Cake with
Caramel Cream Frosting
Jazz up cake mix with a hint of cinnamon creating a classic Mexican flavor combo.
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist devil's food cake mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
Caramelized Sugar Frosting
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease bottom
only of 13 x 9-inch pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- Cake: Make cake mix as directed on box using water,
oil and eggs - except add cinnamon to cake mix.
- Bake as directed on box for 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Caramelized Sugar Frosting: In 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat
granulated sugar over medium-low heat 6 to 8
minutes, stirring constantly with wooden spoon and watching carefully, until sugar
begins to melt. As sugar begins to melt, stir with wooden spoon until sugar is melted
and golden brown. (Sugar becomes very hot and could melt a plastic spoon.)
- Remove from heat; carefully stir in butter and 1 tablespoon of the milk (mixture
will become lumpy).
- Return to medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar to caramel mixture; beat with electric mixer on low speed
until well combined.
- Add 3 tablespoons milk, mixing until frosting is glossy and spreadable. If necessary,
add up to 1 tablespoon more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Spread frosting over cake.
- Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Yield: 15 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Follow High Altitude cake mix directions on box
for 13 x 9-inch pan.
Time Saver: Try Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy
dulce de leche frosting instead of the homemade frosting.
Special Touch:Garnish cake with chocolate shavings.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 130); Total
Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 320mg; Total
Carbohydrate 62g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 50g); Protein 3g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 3 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 Fat Carbohydrate
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Cake Recipes