Mexican Gold Nugget Brownie Torte
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- Pinch of salt
- 1 recipe Ganache
- 1 disk Ibarra chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 gram 22-karat gold dust*
* Gold dust is available at cake decorating shops.
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Torte: Set a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Line it with a round of parchment paper or buttered wax paper.
- Place bittersweet chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Combine coffee and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour hot sugar syrup over the chocolate, and stir until melted and smooth.
- Put butter and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a the bowl of an electric mixer and beat at high speed for 2 minutes, or until well combined and smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Continue beating, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary, until light and fluffy, about 5 more minutes.
- With the mixer on its lowest setting, or using a rubber spatula, gradually beat or fold in chocolate syrup.
- Beat or fold in nuts and bread crumbs.
- In a dry bowl, combine egg whites and salt and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle on the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar and whisk until the peaks stiffen to the consistency of shaving cream.
- Fold one third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then gently, but thoroughly, fold in the remaining whites.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the top is springy to the touch and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Turn the cake out onto a wire rack.
- Pour the Ganache over it and, using as few strokes as possible, frost the cake.
- Scatter the Ibarra chocolate over the top of the cake, then use a fine strainer to sprinkle the gold dust over it.
- Ganache: Put chocolate into a small bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream to a scald over medium heat. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Working from the center out, gently stir to melt and blend until smooth. Let the Ganache sit until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. It should be spreadable, but still pourable. If the Ganache doesn't have a smooth patina, blend in a few drops of cold heavy cream. A matte finish will dry to a mirror shine.