- 30 vanilla wafers
- 5 cups coconut, shredded
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 cups
- 2 cups water
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Red food coloring
- Grease an 8-inch square pan and line it with the wafers.
- In a blender, grind the shredded coconut with 4 tablespoons water into a fine
- In a large pot, combine sugar, 2 cups of the water and the cinnamon stick. Cook
over low heat, stirring gently, until sugar dissolves. Cover and cook over medium
heat for 2 to 3 minutes to wash down sugar crystals from the sides of the pan. Uncover;
continue cooking to the soft ball stage (234 degrees F) or until syrup forms a soft
ball that flattens when removed from cold water.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the ground coconut.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and beat at medium speed of an electric mixer
until the mixture forms a paste.
- Divide in half. Add a few drops of red food coloring to one portion and leave
the other white.
- Fill the pan half full with the white coconut mixture and then top with the pink
- Let cool in a dry covered container for 1 day. Slice into approximately 6 x 2-inch
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store in a dry container until ready to eat.
Makes four 6-inch rectangles.
This will keep up to 4 weeks.