New Mexico Pinon Candy
- 2 cones piloncillo, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups), or 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter (NOT margarine)
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat piloncillo and water to boiling in a 2-quart saucepan, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat slightly. Cook, without stirring, to 236 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in butter.
- Cool for 8 minutes without stirring.
- Stir in pine nuts and vanilla extract. Beat with a spoon until slightly thickened
and mixture just coats pine nuts but remains glossy, about 1 minute.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonsful onto wax paper.
- Let stand until candies are firm.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Yield: 24 candies
Other Southwestern candy recipes you may like...
Chocolate Covered Peanut Patties
Pinon Red Chile Fudge