- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, unsalted roasted pumpkin
seeds, pinons or salted roasted peanuts *
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter a 20-inch length of heavy aluminum foil.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt and water in a large non-reactive pot.
Bring to a boil. Whisk to dissolve the sugar, reduce the heat, and cook gently until
the mixture reaches the soft ball stage (234 degrees F) on a candy thermometer (about
- Stir in the nuts and simmer until the hard crack stage (290 degrees F), about
- Add baking soda and whisk until the bubbling stops and the mixture settles.
- Immediately pour the mixture onto the prepared aluminum foil; spread 1/4-inch
thick with a wooden spoon.
- Let set for at least 20 minutes, then break into pieces.
* Using a combination of any or all of these nuts also makes a wonderful candy.