Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole
You'll have fun layering crispy tortilla strips with chicken, salsa and cheese
in this amazing casserole.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 10 flour or corn tortillas (6 to 8 inches in diameter), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 1/3 cups salsa verde or green sauce
- 2 cups shredded Chihuahua or mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet until hot. Cook tortilla strips in oil 30 to 60 seconds
or until light golden brown; drain.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2-quart casserole.
- Layer half of the tortilla strips in casserole; top with chicken, half of the
salsa verde (about 2/3 cup) and 1 cup of the cheese. Press layers gently down into
casserole. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips, sauce and cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Yield: 6 servings (about 1 cup each)
Salsa verde - or green salsa - is found in the Mexican foods aisle of most supermarkets.
Special Touch: For a quick, south-of-the-border fiesta, serve this flavor-packed
casserole with salad greens tossed with cool ranch dressing and some piping-hot
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 490 (Calories from Fat 280 );
Total Fat 31 g (Saturated Fat 8 g); Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 590 mg; Total Carbohydrate
27 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g); Protein 28 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10 %; Vitamin C 30 %; Calcium 34 %; Iron
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 3 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Casserole Recipes