Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild chopped chile peppers
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Wisconsin hot pepper jack cheese
- 5 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Wisconsin hot pepper jack cheese
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In large skillet over medium heat, sauté first seven ingredients. Simmer over
low heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine sour cream, Cheddar cheese and 1 cup hot pepper
jack cheese. Place one tortilla in casserole dish and cover with 1/5 of the chicken
mixture, cup corn and 1/4 of the sour cream mixture. Repeat layers three more times.
On top of last tortilla, place remaining chicken mixture and 1/2 cup Monterey jack
- Bake for 35 minutes until light brown and bubbly.
Yield: 8 servings
Tip: Hot pepper jack is easier to cut and
shred when taken directly from refrigeration. Measure cheese by weight, especially
if it is shredded or cubed.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 6/28/01 6:02:25 am.