Chilaquilla (Green Chile Chicken Casserole)
- 1 skinned and boiled chicken (add garlic powder to water - strain and reserve
water after boiling)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can cream of
mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-2 teaspoons comino (ground cumin)
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole green chiles
- 1 1/2 - 2 packages corn tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- Boil chicken in water until done, approximately 1/2 hour.
- Cool then bone and cut into small chunks approximately 1-inch in size and set
aside. I usually boil and bone the chicken the night before and reserve the water.
Then the chicken is nice and cool and easy to cut up.
- In a large bowl throw in soup and seasoning and mix well. You will probably have
to add some water. You can use some of the water used to boil the chicken.
- Tear tortillas into chunks about 1-2 inches in diameter
- Cut up green chiles into chunks. DO NOT BUY THE CHOPPED OR DICED GREEN CHILES
as they don't have the flavor of the whole ones. Add the juice in the can of green
- Add onion and chicken and mix well. If it is dry, add more broth. This mixture
should be somewhat soupy. You want a moist casserole when it is done.
- Spray an 8-inch square casserole with Pam. Put half the mixture in the casserole
and spread some of the cheese then the rest of the mixture.
- Put into 350 degree
F oven and cook for 45 minutes uncovered. The last 10 minutes, cover the top with
remainder of grated cheese.
Serves 2 to 4.
This is an approximate recipe as I don't follow one to the letter. Feel free
to get creative with your recipe.
For a large casserole, 9 x 13-inches
Skin and boil a whole chicken or more, for about 30-45 minutes. Cool.
Use a large bag of corn tortillas - about 32 per bundle.
Cut chicken and you can use some of the water to moisten the mixture.
Use 1 chopped onion or more to taste.
Use large cans of cream of chicken and
2 - 3 (7 ounce) cans whole green chiles, cut up
Add more seasoning
This can be frozen for later. Cool and cover with plastic wrap to keep from freezer
burning and then freeze.
Posted by Sparki at Recipe Goldmine Sunday Jan 7th, 2007 09:59 am.
Other Southwestern casserole recipes you may like...
Poblanos Florentine Casserole
Smoked Chicken and Green Chile Bake
Green Corn Tamale Casserole
Chili Casserole with Cornbread