Chili Casserole with Cornbread
Chili and cornbread partner in a homey one-dish dinner bake.
Fresh fruit and a mixed-green salad are good ideas for serving with chili and cornbread.
- 1 pound lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Old El Paso Thick 'n Chunky salsa
- 2 cups Progresso dark red kidney beans (from 19 ounce can), drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups Green Giant Niblets frozen whole kernel corn
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (6.5 ounce) pouch Betty Crocker cornbread & muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In 12 inch skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Stir in salsa, kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.
- Meanwhile, make cornbread as directed on pouch, using milk. Spoon cornbread batter around outside edge of ungreased 12 x 8 inch (2 quart) glass baking dish. Spoon hot beef mixture into center. (Casserole will be full.)
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese; bake for 4 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and cornbread is deep golden brown. Sprinkle with green onion just before serving.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 440 (Calories from Fat 110); Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 1110mg; Total Carbohydrate 57g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 13g); Protein 24g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 10%; Iron 25%
Exchanges: 3 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 Medium-Fat Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 4
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: