Cinco de Mayo Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup shredded sharp
- 5 cups chili, heated
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups shredded
romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes,
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/2 pitted sliced
- Cornmeal layer: Whisk cornmeal, salt and water together in large saucepan. Bring
to boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Cook until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese until melted. Immediately pour cornmeal
mixture into shallow 3-quart casserole. Cool until firm, 30 minutes (Can be made
ahead. Cover and refrigerate chili and cornmeal layers separately.)
- Assemble casserole,
cover and bake in preheated 375 degree F oven 1 hour or until heated through).
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread top of casserole with chili. Cover and bake
for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with toppings (last seven ingredients).
Yield: 8 servings
Other Southwestern casserole recipes you may like...
Poblanos Florentine Casserole
Smoked Chicken and Green Chile Bake
Green Corn Tamale Casserole
Chili Casserole with Cornbread