Green Chile and Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 8 ounces diced green chiles
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 small corn tortillas, cut into equal strips
- Green onion, sliced (garnish)
- Ripe olives, sliced (garnish)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Using a large saucepan, melt the butter; add the flour and cook for one minute, whisking constantly.
- Stir in the chicken broth, then the milk and continue to whisk.
- Add salt, pepper and cumin.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, onions and green chiles.
- Line the baking dish with half of the tortilla strips, top with half of the shredded chicken and half of the shredded cheese. Pour a layer of the sauce over the top and spread evenly.
- Repeat with the other half of the tortilla chips, the shredded chicken and shredded cheese.
- Top with the remaining sauce and smooth out.
- Sprinkle with a little of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and sliced ripe olives.