Layered Tortilla Casserole
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans) black beans, drained
- Vegetable cooking
- 3 cups sliced onions (about 2 large)
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
(about 2 medium)
- 1 3/4 cups julienned red bell pepper (about 2 medium)
- 2 cloves
- 1 cup corn cut from cob (about 2 ears)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1/4 cups commercial
green taco sauce
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) Wisconsin crumbled Queso Blanco cheese
- Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add water and beans, and process
until smooth. Set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium-high
heat until hot. Add onion, zucchini, pepper and garlic; sauté 10 minutes. Add corn,
cumin and ground red pepper; cook 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Coat a 3-quart round soufflé dish with cooking spray. Place 1 tortilla in bottom
of dish. Spread 1/2 cup bean mixture over tortilla. Spoon 1 cup onion mixture on
top of bean mixture, and top with 1/4 cup sauce. Blend together Monterey Jack and
Queso Blanco. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over sauce. Repeat procedure with reaming
ingredients, ending with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Yield: 8 servings
Reprinted with permission from
the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.