Mexican Pasta Bake
Sprinkle this hearty tomato- and cheese-topped casserole with chopped fresh cilantro
for bright color and fresh flavor.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked rigatoni pasta (8 ounces)
- 1 cup Green Giant Niblets frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 (24 ounce) jar Old El Paso
Thick 'n Chunky salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can Progresso black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 1/3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (6 ounces)
- 2 medium Roma (plum) tomatoes,
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 4-quart casserole.
- Cook beef in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally,
until brown; drain.
- Cook and drain pasta in 4-quart Dutch oven as directed on package. Return pasta
to Dutch oven. Stir in beef, corn, salsa and beans. Spoon half of the pasta mixture
into casserole. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the cheese. Spoon remaining pasta mixture
into casserole. Place tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.
Yield: 6 servings
Did You Know...Rigatoni are short-cut (about
1 inch long), wide, tubular pasta with lengthwise grooves. The grooves and tube
shape make it a perfect partner for chunky sauces.
Health Twist: Replace ground beef with ground
turkey breast to lighten the calorie count of this dish.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 435 (Calories from Fat 125 );
Total Fat 14 g (Saturated Fat 7 g); Cholesterol 45 mg; Sodium 700 mg; Total Carbohydrate
59 g (Dietary Fiber 8 g); Protein 27 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20 %; Vitamin C 20 %; Calcium 28 %; Iron
Exchanges: 4 Starch; 2 Lean Meat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from