Mexican-Style Beef Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion,
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes or 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup chile
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas,
cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup red taco sauce
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet brown the beef. Pour off any fat and remove beef; set aside.
- Add oil to skillet and sauté onion until limp and golden.
- Return beef to skillet and add tomatoes, chili sauce, salt and pepper.
- Dip tortilla quarters in taco sauce, covering both sides. Cover bottom of a buttered
3-quart casserole with half the tortilla pieces, slightly overlapping. Spread beef
mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle beef with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Layer remaining
tortilla pieces on top and spread with sour cream. Sprinkle on the spinach and top
with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, uncovering for the last 15 minutes.
If re-heating, have the casserole at room temperature and bake at 375 degrees
F, uncovered, until hot and bubbly.