Poblanos Florentine Casserole
Serve your family a casserole with a kick - they'll never miss the meat in this
- 5 fresh poblano chiles (4 1/2 x 3 inches)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Chihuahua or
Monterey Jack cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 (9 ounce) package Green Giant™ frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed
- 1 (12 ounce) can Pillsbury™ Grands!™ Jr. Golden Layers® Butter Tastin'®
- 1 (10 ounce) can Old El Paso™ mild enchilada sauce
- 2 plum (Roma)
tomatoes, chopped, if desired
- 1/2 cup fresh guacamole, if desired
- 1/2 cup
sour cream, if desired
- Set oven control to broil.
- On cookie sheet, broil chiles with tops 2 inches from heat about 10 minutes,
turning frequently with tongs, until all sides are blackened and blistered. Place
chiles in paper bag; seal bag. Let chiles steam 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking
dish with CRISCO® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray.
- In medium bowl, mix Chihuahua cheese and Mexican cheese blend; reserve 3/4 cup
for topping. In another medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, garlic, cumin and spinach.
Stir in remaining shredded cheeses. Set aside.
- Wearing food-safe plastic gloves, peel blackened skin from chiles. Cut open chiles;
remove stems, seeds and membranes. Cut each chile in half lengthwise into 2 pieces;
- Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Separate each biscuit into 2 thin layers; flatten
- Pour half of the enchilada sauce over bottom of baking dish. Place 10 biscuit
layers on sauce, cutting biscuits if necessary to fit into dish. Top with 5 chile
halves; spread spinach mixture over chiles. Top with remaining 5 chiles halves and
remaining 10 biscuit layers. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over biscuits.
- Spray sheet of foil with cooking spray. Cover baking dish with foil, sprayed
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly around edges.
- Sprinkle with reserved 3/4 cup shredded cheeses.
- Bake uncovered for 5 to 8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Cool for 10 minutes
- Top each serving with tomatoes, guacamole and sour cream.
45 min prep time
2 hr 5 min total time
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 290 Calories from Fat 150
Total Fat 16g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 2g Cholesterol 30mg Sodium 790mg Total
Carbohydrate 23g Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 4g Protein 12g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 60% Vitamin C 50% Calcium 30% Iron 10%
Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 1 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Bake-Off® Contest 43, 2008
Gloria Felts, Indianapolis, Indiana
®Crisco is a trademark of The J.M. Smucker Company
Reprinted with permission from