Spoon Bread Tamale Bake
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (#2) can tomatoes (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon salt (I use less)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In oil in skillet, brown beef, add onions, garlic, green peppers. Cook, stirring
until onions are golden.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, 1 tablespoon salt, chili powder and pepper. Simmer for
- Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal mixed with water; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add olives. Turn into a 3-quart casserole.
- Meanwhile, heat milk with 1 teaspoon salt and butter; slowly stir in 1/2 cup
corn meal; cook stirring until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in cheese and eggs,
Pour over meat mixture in casserole.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes until bubbly hot.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
May be refrigerated and baked later.
To freeze - thaw in refrigerator and bake 20-30 minutes longer than recipe directs.
From the kitchen of Barb, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Other Southwestern casserole recipes you may like...
Poblanos Florentine Casserole
Smoked Chicken and Green Chile Bake
Green Corn Tamale Casserole
Chili Casserole with Cornbread