Spoon Bread Tamale Bake
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (#2) can tomatoes (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon salt (I use less)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In oil in skillet, brown beef, add onions, garlic, green peppers. Cook, stirring
until onions are golden.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, 1 tablespoon salt, chili powder and pepper. Simmer for
- Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal mixed with water; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add olives. Turn into a 3-quart casserole.
- Meanwhile, heat milk with 1 teaspoon salt and butter; slowly stir in 1/2 cup
corn meal; cook stirring until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in cheese and eggs,
Pour over meat mixture in casserole.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes until bubbly hot.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
May be refrigerated and baked later.
To freeze - thaw in refrigerator and bake 20-30 minutes longer than recipe directs.
From the kitchen of Barb, Albuquerque, New Mexico.