West of the Pecos Casserole
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons
chili powder (or more)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 (1 pound) can cream-style corn
- 1 (1 pound) can tomatoes
and green chiles
- 1 (12 ounce) package noodles, cooked and drained very well
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet or kettle. Add meat, onion, pepper, mushrooms,
chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; cook until meat is brown.
- Add soup, corn and tomatoes; simmer 30 minutes.
- Add cooked noodles. Pour into large casserole and let cool.
- Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees F.
A topping of grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese makes this dish special.
This can be made a day or two ahead.