New Mexican Red Chili
When you order chili in New Mexico, this is what will be served to you.
- 6 to 8 dried red chiles, stems removed
- 2 pounds pork, cut into 1 1/2-inch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
or beef broth
- Salt, to taste
- Place the chiles on a baking sheet and toast at 250 degrees F for 15 minutes,
being careful not to let them burn.
- Place the chiles in a saucepan, cover with water, and simmer for 15 minutes until
- Place chiles in a blender with the water, and puree until smooth.
- Brown the pork in the oil. Add the garlic and sauté. Pour off any excess fat.
- Combine the chile mixture, pork and remaining water, bring to a boil, then reduce
the heat and simmer until the pork is very tender and starts to fall apart —
at least 2 hours.
Other Southwestern chili recipes you may like...
Tucson Mission Chili
Southwestern Smoked Maine Lobster Chili
Chili Queen Chili
Chile Verde de Puerco