As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Soft taco size flour tortillas
- 1 (16 ounce) jar picante sauce or salsa, divided
- 7 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons ground comino (cumin)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Toppings: guacamole, sour cream, shredded lettuce, diced tomato
- Combine 1 1/2 cups picante sauce or salsa and chicken, onion,
cumin, oregano and salt in a Dutch oven. Cook over medium-low
heat, stirring often, for 25 minutes or until most of liquid
- Lay each tortilla out flat. Spoon 1/3 cup of
this mixture below the center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons
cheese. Fold in two sides of the tortilla to enclose the filling.
Fold over top and bottom edges of tortillas, making rectangles.
Secure with wooden picks. Place, folded side down, on greased
baking sheets. Coat chimichangas with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 8 minutes; turn over and bake 5 more
- Remove wooden picks; top with remaining picante sauce
and desired toppings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Chimichanga Recipes