Chimichangas de Pollo
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 (3 1/2 pound) whole chicken
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, studded with 2 whole cloves
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 large whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large tomato, cored and diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed leaf basil
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed leaf oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- Shredded lettuce (optional)
- Tomato wedges (optional)
- Place the chicken, water, onion, celery, 2 garlic cloves, and
bay leaf in a medium-size stewing pot. Cook chicken at medium
heat for approximately 1 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is
- Allow chicken to cool, remove meat from bones, and chop.
- Place shortening, sliced onion, and 1 minced garlic clove in
a medium-size skillet and sauté mixture at medium heat until
onion is tender.
- Add the chopped chicken, tomato, jalapeno chile,
and remaining seasonings and simmer at low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Place approximately1/2 cup of chicken mixture horizontally across
the bottom half of each tortilla. Do not extend the mixture
beyond 1 1/2 inches at the sides and bottom. Fold the sides
in over the filling and roll the tortilla jellyroll style. Secure
each roll with a wooden pick.
- Heat 2-inches of shortening in a heavy pan at medium-high heat.
- Fry each rolled tortilla in hot shortening until crisp and lightly
browned. Drain on absorbent towels.
- Assemble the chimichangas by placing each rolled tortilla on
a plate and garnish with 1/4 cup of sour cream, 2 tablespoons
of guacamole,1/3 cup of cheddar cheese, lettuce, and tomato
Yield: 8 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Chimichanga Recipes