Deluxe Machaca Chimichangas
(Chimichangas de Machaca Especial)
- 4 flour tortillas, 12-inch diameter
- 1 recipe Machaca
- 2 cups mild Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup green chile, peeled, seeded, and minced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
- 1 recipe Basic New Mexico Chile Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- Shredded lettuce and chopped tomato
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Soften
the tortillas. Place approximately 1/4 of the Machaca on each
tortilla; then top each with 1/4 cup cheese (reserve the remaining
cup of cheese for the final topping), 1/4 cup green chile, 1
tablespoon pickled jalapeno, and roll it up.
- Meanwhile, bring the chile sauce to a simmer.
- Fry the burritos one at a time until they are a crispy golden brown.
- Quickly drain the chimichangas and place them on individual serving
plates. Cover the chimichangas with the chile sauce, sprinkle
with the remaining cheese, and then top each chimichanga with
1/4 cup of sour cream.
- Garnish the plates with the lettuce and tomato and serve immediately.