Chipotles en Adobo
(Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce)
This is the way to make your own "canned" chipotles en
- 1 packed cup (2 ounces) stemmed chipotle chiles
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Put all ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat
and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook for 45 minutes, or until a sauce-like
consistency is achieved.
- To make in a microwave, reduce the amount of water to 1 1/4 cups
and place all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and seal well
with plastic wrap. Cook the mixture on HIGH power for 2 to 3 minutes
and allow it to sit for 3 to 5 minutes. CAUTION: hot steam escape
when uncovering the bowl. Let cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Chipotles en Adobo Puree: Transfer the chiles and their sauce to a blender or food processor and blend to a smooth puree. Strain through a medium-meshed strainer.
Let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Makes 1 cup.