- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 40 to 50 Serranos or 12 large jalapenos
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 cup fruit vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 scant teaspoon mixed thyme, marjoram and Mexican oregano
- 4 peppercorns, coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add whole garlic cloves
and fry, stirring frequently, until they are lightly browned; remove
and set aside.
- Add chiles and onion; fry, stirring frequently, until
the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the skillet. Add browned garlic, vinegar, bay
leaves, herbs, pepper and salt. Cover and simmer over medium-low
heat for about 10 minutes — until the chiles are olive green.
- Remove from the heat; pour into a non-reactive container. Cool and
season with additional salt, if necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate for a day before using.