Almond Flan (Flan Almendrada)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 2/3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely ground almonds
- Sprinkle sugar evenly in 9-inch cake pan; place over medium heat.
Caramelize the sugar by shaking the pan over the heat until sugar
is melted and light golden brown. Allow to cool; mixture may crack
- Blend remaining ingredients at high speed for 15 seconds. Pour over
caramelized sugar. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in
large, shallow pan containing about 1-inch of hot water. Bake at
350 degrees F for 55 minutes or until center is set.
- Remove the pan from water and uncover; let cool on a wire rack.
Loosen edges with the tip of a knife. Place serving plate upside
down on top of the pan and quickly invert the flan onto it.