Baked Indian Pudding
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of cinnamon and ginger
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Pudding: In a saucepan, mix milk and molasses.
Stir in cornmeal. Cook over medium heat and stir until thickened
(about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and add butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg, sugar, salt and spices to taste. Add
1/2 cup of hot mixture to egg-sugar mixture. Stir, then add egg-sugar
mix to hot mix. Stir again. Pour into a 1-quart casserole dish and
set in a bed of water.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. The top will
spring to the touch when done.
- Serve with Lemon Sauce.
- Lemon Sauce: Melt butter and mix with sugar. Beat in egg and lemon juice. Mix
in nutmeg and pour hot water over all and blend. Place over a double
boiler and cook over low heat. When thickened, remove from heat
and serve. A tablespoon or two of brandy can be blended in easily
before serving, if desired.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.