Baked Indian Pudding
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of cinnamon and ginger
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Pudding: In a saucepan, mix milk and molasses.
Stir in cornmeal. Cook over medium heat and stir until thickened
(about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and add butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg, sugar, salt and spices to taste. Add
1/2 cup of hot mixture to egg-sugar mixture. Stir, then add egg-sugar
mix to hot mix. Stir again. Pour into a 1-quart casserole dish and
set in a bed of water.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. The top will
spring to the touch when done.
- Serve with Lemon Sauce.
- Lemon Sauce: Melt butter and mix with sugar. Beat in egg and lemon juice. Mix
in nutmeg and pour hot water over all and blend. Place over a double
boiler and cook over low heat. When thickened, remove from heat
and serve. A tablespoon or two of brandy can be blended in easily
before serving, if desired.