Banana Split Chimichangas
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 banana, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable oil
- confectioners' sugar
- Combine chocolate, butter and cream in the top of a double boiler over simmering,
not boiling water. Stir occasionally until all ingredients re melted and well combined.
Set aside and allow to cool.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Do not grease. Place tortillas
over heat to soften enough to become pliable. Remove from heat and arrange 1 piece
of banana, about 1/4 cup cooled chocolate mixture, 2 tablespoons nuts and 2 tablespoons
ice cream off center on each tortilla. Brush inside edges of tortillas with beaten
egg. Fold top edge of tortilla about a quarter of the way over filling. Repeat with
bottom edge. Starting with the unfolded edge closest to the filling, roll into a
shape like an egg roll. Freeze for several hours or overnight. Keep frozen until
ready to serve.
- Just before serving, heat oil in a skillet or deep fryer to 400 degrees F. Place tortilla
rolls in hot oil until golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Dust with confectioners'
sugar and serve immediately.