- Dough for flour tortillas, using 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped, optional
- 3/4 cup Cajeta
- 3/4 cup cream cheese (at room temperature)
- Oil (for deep-frying)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turnovers: Divide tortilla dough into 12 pieces, roll them into balls, and
allow them to rest, covered by a towel, for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly mix together the cajeta, pecans and cream
- Roll out 1 of the balls of dough to about 7 inches diameter. Wet
the edges with a little water. Place about 2 tablespoons of the
cajeta mixture just off the center and fold the tortilla over it,
pressing the edges together tightly. Fold about 1/2 inch of the
turnover's rim over and press to thoroughly seal with the times
of a fork.
- Deep-fry the turnover at 350 degrees F until it is golden
brown, remove it to drain, and dust it with confectioners' sugar.
Make remaining turnovers.
- Cajeta: Place milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan and bring to a bare
simmer very slowly. Be very careful as the milk can scorch. Cook
the milk at a bare simmer until it becomes a golden brown and thickens
into a paste, about 25 to 30 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.