- Dough for flour tortillas, using 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped, optional
- 3/4 cup Cajeta
- 3/4 cup cream cheese (at room temperature)
- Oil (for deep-frying)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turnovers: Divide tortilla dough into 12 pieces, roll them into balls, and
allow them to rest, covered by a towel, for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly mix together the cajeta, pecans and cream
- Roll out 1 of the balls of dough to about 7 inches diameter. Wet
the edges with a little water. Place about 2 tablespoons of the
cajeta mixture just off the center and fold the tortilla over it,
pressing the edges together tightly. Fold about 1/2 inch of the
turnover's rim over and press to thoroughly seal with the times
of a fork.
- Deep-fry the turnover at 350 degrees F until it is golden
brown, remove it to drain, and dust it with confectioners' sugar.
Make remaining turnovers.
- Cajeta: Place milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan and bring to a bare
simmer very slowly. Be very careful as the milk can scorch. Cook
the milk at a bare simmer until it becomes a golden brown and thickens
into a paste, about 25 to 30 minutes.