- 1 ounce (1 square) bitter chocolate
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups evaporated or boiled milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set large pan of water in oven, with mold in pan. Use a 1 1/2-quart
oval casserole. In top of a double boiler over hot water, melt chocolate
in the 1/4 cup water. Add to the milk beaten with the yolks and
vanilla extract and the 1/2 cup of the sugar. Beat well.
- Caramelize 1/2 cup sugar over high heat in a small saucepan, stirring
hard. When sugar begins to melt, reduce heat and continue stirring
until sugar has all melted and is a light tan. Do not burn - it
will turn bitter. Pour it into the bottom of the mold, and tilt
to cover the bottom. Pour the chocolate mixture into the mold. Bake
for 1 hour. Cool thoroughly. (Make it the day before use and let
it firm in the refrigerator.
- To serve, slide a spatula around the upper edge of the custard to
loosen; place a large platter with some depth over the casserole,
and invert carefully. Let mold remain about 15 minutes so all the
caramel sauce can drip down.