- 1 ounce (1 square) bitter chocolate
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups evaporated or boiled milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set large pan of water in oven, with mold in pan. Use a 1 1/2-quart
oval casserole. In top of a double boiler over hot water, melt chocolate
in the 1/4 cup water. Add to the milk beaten with the yolks and
vanilla extract and the 1/2 cup of the sugar. Beat well.
- Caramelize 1/2 cup sugar over high heat in a small saucepan, stirring
hard. When sugar begins to melt, reduce heat and continue stirring
until sugar has all melted and is a light tan. Do not burn - it
will turn bitter. Pour it into the bottom of the mold, and tilt
to cover the bottom. Pour the chocolate mixture into the mold. Bake
for 1 hour. Cool thoroughly. (Make it the day before use and let
it firm in the refrigerator.
- To serve, slide a spatula around the upper edge of the custard to
loosen; place a large platter with some depth over the casserole,
and invert carefully. Let mold remain about 15 minutes so all the
caramel sauce can drip down.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.