If you love the churro sticks, you are going to love these little churro dessert bowls.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar or 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 440 degrees F/225 degrees C. Turn a standard-size muffin tin or a mini muffin tin upside down with the open holes facing down and the cups facing up. Lightly grease cups and the area around the cups thoroughly with butter. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan. Add the water, sugar, vanilla extract and salt; bring to a simmer for 5 minutes while mixing occasionally.
- Add the flour, stirring with a large wooden spoon until well blended and forms a ball.
- Take off heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes, or until just warm to the touch.
- Add one egg, quickly beating until completely incorporated (it will look like it's not coming together, but keep beating).
- Add the second egg and repeat the process until a dough forms.
- Scoop dough into a strong double lined pastry bag with a large open star tip nozzle. Starting from the bottom, pipe the dough around every second cup to form bowls (leave one empty cup between each bowl to allow the churro
pastry to expand). Lightly press each layer together to close up any gaps.
- Spray each bowl lightly with cooking oil spray for CRISPY CHURROS! Don't skip this part.
- For the standard bowls made in standard-size muffin tins: Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and crispy to the touch.
- For the mini bowls made in mini muffin tins: Bake for 35 minutes or until golden and crispy to the touch. Allow to cool slightly before removing.
- Fill a shallow bowl with cinnamon sugar; coat each bowl evenly (they may need a light spray of oil to allow the sugar to stick) and serve with ice cream, fruit salad, , rice pudding, dessert sauces, or whatever else you desire!