Dessert Tostadas with Lime Curd
- Tortilla Shells
- 6 flour tortilla shells
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup Lime Curd
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate curls
- Fresh strawberries
- 4 to 5 large Mexican limes
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Tostadas: In a small bowl, beat whipping cream to soft peaks.
- In another bowl, stir Lime Curd until smooth; fold into whipped cream. Use, or
cover and chill overnight.
- Place tortillas on dessert plates; spoon about one-third cup of the Lime Curd
- Sprinkle with chocolate and garnish with strawberries.
- To eat, break off chunks of the tortilla to scoop through filling.
- Lime Curd: Remove green skin (zest) from 2 of the limes. Scrape off any bitter
white pith left on the zest.
- Place the zest in a small saucepan. Add enough boiling
water to cover and blanch over high heat for 1 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry on paper
- Finely chop the zest.
- Halve and squeeze enough of the limes to produce 1/2 cup lime juice.
- In a small bowl, beat together the whole egg and egg yolks.
- In a small, heavy non-reactive saucepan, combine the lime juice, zest and sugar.
Stir to partially dissolve the sugar.
- Add the egg mixture and the butter. Cook over
low heat, stirring until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon,
about 20 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil. It will thicken as it cools.
- Strain the curd into a clean, dry heat-proof jar, cover with wax paper and cool.
- Cover the jar and refrigerate until chilled.
- Keeps very well if refrigerated.